I WANT MY TENANT TO MOVE OUT s.sdcpm.com/out

JAN 1st 2020

 CIVIL CODE §1946. 2 applies once all residents have been in possession for 12 months, or any one resident has been in possession for 24 months.
Here are the relevant provisions of the new law:

(a) Notwithstanding any other law, after a tenant has continuously and lawfully occupied a residential real property for 12 months, the owner of the residential real property shall not terminate the tenancy without just cause, which shall be stated in the written notice to terminate tenancy. If any additional adult tenants are added to the lease before an existing tenant has continuously and lawfully occupied the residential real property for 24 months, then this subdivision shall only apply if either of the following are satisfied:

(1) All of the tenants have continuously and lawfully occupied the residential real property for 12 months or more.

(2) One or more tenants have continuously and lawfully occupied the residential real property for 24 months or more.

See above first
Below explains the options when a landlord want's their tenant to vacate, even though the tenant is in compliance with their rental agreement.

You should always consult an attorney to review the specifics of your case and to ensure the below is correct and applies in your case. The source of below is from the Department of Consumer Affairs and is not intended as legal advice

If there is no existing lease, then as per California Code 1946, the following apply, depending on how long the tenant has lived in the property

    A:  Less than one year:  a minimum 30-day notice*** can be served and no reason needs to be provided 

    B:  Between 1 and 2 years, a minimum 60-day notice can be served and no reason needs to be provided
          EXCEPTIONS:  CC.1946.1 (d)  For single family homes only where a buyer is going to move in and live there for at least one year,  a            30-day notice can be provided  if the notice is given within 120 days from the date escrow opens and the tenant was not already                  served with a 60-day  notice (see also ***)  CC.1946.1 (c) If any roommate moved in less than 1 year ago then a 30-day notice can            be given.                 
   C:   if the  property is in   the    City of Diego and not on Section 8 then "A minimum 60 day JUST CAUSE" EVICTION" notice,  must be served.
           EXCEPTIONS: CC1946.1 (d) above in B applies to 
    ** Section 8 tenants must always be given a 60-day notice" with cause" or 90-day notice "without cause"  regardless how long they                 have lived in the property, where you agree to remove the unit from the Section 8 program. See also LINK

    *** If the home was purchased at a foreclosure sale (per CC 1946.7 a 60-day notice must be given)

Note: As per attorney advice, tenant's rights above cannot be waived, even if the tenant agrees to waive them 

If the property is significantly destroyed as per clause in agreement below, or similar wording then the lease can be terminated. What is defined as "significant " is sometimes a gray area and so depends on the specific facts

DAMAGE TO RESIDENCE.  If the Residence is significantly damaged or destroyed by fire, earthquake, accident or other casualty (by no fault of you) that renders the Residence uninhabitable, either you or Landlord may terminate this Agreement by giving the other written notice of election to terminate.  If the Agreement is not terminated, we will promptly repair the damage, and Rent will be reduced based on the extent to which the damage interferes with your use of Residence (unless we provide alternate housing).  If you or your Related Parties cause the damage, we will have the right of termination, but you will not have that right and there will be no Rent reduction.